JFFS3 & performance

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Jan 12 14:16:41 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 19:40 +0100, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Wed, 12 January 2005 19:27:59 +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> >
> > Missing error
> >
> > There is another type of error, which came up lately with AND FLASH. If
>                                                            ^^
> You mean NAND, right?

No, I mean AND. And is similar to NAND, it has the same interface, but a
different cell technology.

http://www.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?
cnt=ag_and_flash_memory_root.jsp&fp=/products/memory/ag_and_flash_memory/

> > you leave a block untouched in a range of blocks and erase/program the
> > surrounding blocks, then the untouched block is likely to have bitflips.
> > GC likeliness to GC clean blocks from time to time will cover this, but
> > if you have a big number of clean blocks you might get into trouble.
> >
> > A strong argument for using seperate partitions for static and dynamic
> > data.
>
> Wouldn't that also require a DMZ of some size between static and
> dynamic data?  For example, 4MB static, 1MB unused, rest dynamic?

No it does not propagate over blocks of blocks. e.g. inside of 0-255,
256-511, ... you have the trouble, but not between those regions.

tglx