JFFS2: checking CRCs twice!?

Josh Boyer jdub at us.ibm.com
Wed Jan 12 10:28:32 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 09:21, Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:

> > > This seems to be true for NOR. But  chrcking CRC helps at least *detect*
> > > and *report* media problems.
> > Fair enough.
> > But how will pay attention if the system is embedded into your microwave oven or
> > washing maschine... ;-)
> In this case this doesn't make sence.

Actually, it could make sense in a microwave oven.  They have a
mechanism to display errors to the users if they'd like by using the
clock.  It's all up to the overall design of the system.  You don't
necessarily need a human to parse through dmesg.

(And if your washing machine is sophisticated enough to need Linux, then
it probably at least had some LEDs you could flash a morse code message
with.)

josh