[BUGFIX] JFFS2 NOR problem

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Sun Feb 27 06:26:20 EST 2005

Craig,

I've found that the patch I sent yesterday has defect which might cause
errors or at least lead to an inefficient behavior.

The problem is that if we have the JFFS2_SB_FLAG_MOUNTING flag set
during the entire FS build process we risk to loose proper blocks
accounting. Namely, jffs2_mark_node_obsolete() function moves blocks
between different lists, but this peace of code is skipped owing to the
JFFS2_SB_FLAG_MOUNTING flag.

New patch (attached) must be better. Comments?

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 22:43 -0500, Craig A. Vanderborgh wrote:
> I have succeeded in resolving the oops that I reported in 2 different ways:
Good, I hope Konstantin Kletschke's problem will go away as well.

> Would you please comment on this:  which solution do you think is the
> better one?  Now that we have the newer MTD code working in the
> otherwise "vanilla" 2.6.10 kernel, is this the best solution?  Or is the
> build.c patch solution the safer bet for us?
Well, I can't advice ably but I'd rather use CVS head albeit it is a bit
more dangerous. And last but not least, I'd like to stress - CVS head,
not 2.6.11-rc5 as its MTD snapshot doesn't have to be latest. You might
download the latest MTD snapshot and install it to your kernel
(patchin.sh utility). Refer to linux-mtd.infradead.org for more info.

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 09:40 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Didn't we move it from there to where it is now quite recently for other
> reasons?
Yes, we did. First the flag was set only around scan and we moved it
lover to embrace the Pass 1 as well.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,