symlink corruption in jffs2

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Fri Feb 18 03:05:27 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 15:25 -0500, Joe Barnett wrote:
> I am trying to put a jffs2 filesystem down on a G5 ppc64 system. I can
> build the filesystem fine, and get it into flash, mount it ect. The
> problem I am finding is that a large number of the symbolic links are
> corrupt. The file pointed to has garbage appended to the name (see
> below). If I try to create a new symlink, it also gets corrupted. I
> have turned on JFFS2 debug to level 3 and am still unable to locate
> the source of the issue...  I am using the following options when I
> run mkfs.jffs2:
I wonder did anybody successfully use JFFS2 on 64-bit machine?

> mkfs.jffs2 -o myflashfs.img -d myroot -e 20000
Er, do you mean your Flash block is exactly 20000 bytes?

> I am using Common Intel StrataFlash, which I have confirmed that
> driver is functional
One obvious thing I may suggest to exclude driver problems is to use
mtdram device. It emulates NOR flash in RAM. (mtd/drivers/mtdram.c). If
your problem won't go when you've utilized mtdram, the problem is most
probably in JFFS2.

Another good experiment is just to format your flash (flash_eraseall -j)
and mount it (empty). Then to try to play with symlinks there (touch
file; ln -s link file; and like). This will exclude the possibility of
mistakes when you create and flash your image.

> , as I can read and write large file to and from
> the flash fine, so it isn't in the driver.  Has anyone seen this issue
> before or does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this?  I did
> see Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Another things I may suggest are:

1. Try my recent patch: http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-
mtd/2005-February/011936.html

2. If you post next time, please provide the JFFS2 level 1 debug output.

3. Just in case, provide cat /proc/mtd output.

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,