Do I have to umount JFFS2?

Steven Scholz steven.scholz at imc-berlin.de
Thu Dec 15 05:12:31 EST 2005

Hi all,

we're using JFFS2 as rootfs for embedded devices.

>From time to time we have to reboot shortly after writing to this fs,
e.g. a firware update is basically copying the new fw to the jffs2
partition and call "reboot".

Now I wonder if it is needed to umount this partition explicitly before
rebooting? Or mount it read only first by having

::shutdown:/bin/umount -a -r

in /etc/inittab. Or call "sync"?

Or is the unmounting done by the kernel before actually rebooting?
So the system only reboots when all writing to flash is finished?

(I've lately seen corrupt root fs and want to find out if these reboots
could cause the trouble...)

Thanks a million!

--
Steven