Hardware design guide...

Paul Schulz pschulz01 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:00:06 EDT 2005

Greetings,

 I am working closely with a hardware engineer to design an
 embedded I/O baord what will be connected to an ARM procesor
 board (CompuLab's ARMCore - uses PXA255).

 The I/O board will have some Flash memory on it, and at this stage
 we are looking at either:
   E28F128 - Intel; or
   M29W320 - ST Thomson

 Are there any resources/recommendations
/instructions on the best
 way to 'wire this up'? eg. A hardware design guide?

   The MTD driver interface is very nicely modular (thanks everyone),
   and I want the hardware  to fit into this model. What should be
   avoided hardware wise, so that we can make best use of this API.
   (I don't want to have to hack source just because we made some
   assumption that doesn't hold..)

   The current plan is to hook the chip onto the local and drive
   the control lines via a PLD controlled via a port addresses.
   eg. Chip enable,  VPEN(VPP),  and (more importantly) BusyBit.

 Also, on a related note, I'm was looking through the MTD source code,
 trying to get a handle on the above questions, but couldn't find where
 the parameters for the chipsets were set... does such a thing exist?

 Regards,
 Paul Schulz

ps. This email took 3 goes from my gmail account. Friends don't let friends
send HTMLemails. :-)