is this a bug ?

Ashwin Chaugule ashwinc at aftek.com
Fri Aug 19 20:14:35 EDT 2005

 Hi,
      Im using 2.4.19-rmk7-pxa1, on a pxa255. Recently I mounted jffs2
as rootfs. While doing this the conventional way, I found that
it was being mounted readonly. Since I'm using M28W640 (ST flash) which
needs to be unlocked upon every reboot, I thought the readonly
was because of this locking thing. So, I integrated the flash_unlock
code into the mtd subsystem, but I still got the readonly mount.
After digging into init/do_mounts.c , I found  root_mountflags was by
default readonly, and is sent to mount_block_root("/dev/root",
root_mountflags);  only to be later reassigned somewhere in fs/super.c !
(s->s_flags = flags;)

The following addition to do_mounts.c , did the trick.

+ root_mountflags &= ~MS_RDONLY;
   mount_block_root("/dev/root", root_mountflags);

Now jffs2 mounts nice and clean, with readwrite !

I know you guys have dropped support for 2.4.x, but just for
clarification, might even help several others struggling to get jffs2
working as rootfs :)

Cheers,
Ashwin Chaugule
Embedded Systems Engineer