Intel NOR flash(P30) query

Vitaly Bordug vbordug at ru.mvista.com
Tue Aug 16 11:11:46 EDT 2005

I'm not an MTD guru, but...
Manjula D wrote:
> Hi All,
> Iam a newbie to mtd. We have a MPC8272 custom board with INTEL
> TE28F640P30B85 (P30-CFI compilant)NOR boot Flash and NAND flash
> with JFFS2 filesystem running linux-2.4.20-8.
> The NOR Flash need not have any partition/filesystem.
> My requirement is to have an application to copy an image from
> the NAND Flash to the NOR Flash.
> My current understanding is
> Under RAM/ROM/Flash chip drivers on selecting,
> Detect flash chips by Common Flash Interface (CFI) probe :
>   cfi_probe_init() will register with the mtd_chip_driver.
> Support for Intel/Sharp flash chips:
>   cfi_cmdset_0001.c contains the list of commands supported by
>   Intel.
>
> 1) I need to understand how the application views the NOR flash
>     once it is registered as a mtd device.
The answer is trivial - as mtd device. You can enable support for mtd as
character or block devices - thus you will have say /dev/mtdchar1 to
work from your application.
> 2) Once i register as mtd_chip_driver how can i call the
>     read/write commands of the flash from the application?
see upper. It can be treated as an ordinary character device.
> 3) What is do_map_probe for and how is it different from
>     cfi_probe?
If the flash is used for firmware storage as well, you need to
"partition" it with independent accesss to each part, keeping some of
them write-protected. do_map_probe will apply the map, and will probably
call cfi_probe for certain flash region - refer to google for details.

>   -Thanks
>   Manju

Sincerely,
Vitaly