possible bug in "--pad" option for mkfs.jffs2?

Ryan B. Lynch rlynch at bway.net
Mon Aug 15 12:12:18 EDT 2005

I don't know if this is really a bug, but mkfs.jffs2 doesn't seem to be
working entirely as advertised for me.  I'm trying to use the "--pad"
option to create some relatively large JFFS2 images (~200-950 MB).  I
know that these are larger than is common, so I'm also on the lookout
for size-related limitations.

I run 'mkfs.jffs2' with the following command line:

 $ /usr/sbin/mkfs.jffs2 \
 >    -r /tmp/root \
 >    -o /tmp/image-20050815.160044.jffs2 \
 >    -e 0x10000 \
 >    -p 214171648

The image size is NOT padded to 214,171,648 bytes, though--the size
depends on the contents of the filesystem (I tried varying it a little
to see what happens).  I'm assuming that "-e" and "-p" both take values
in bytes... Maybe someone can correct me on that?

Can anyone correct me, or give me some troubleshooting direction?

Thanks for the help,
Ryan