Compiling JFFS3

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Wed Aug 10 06:45:56 EDT 2005

On Wed, 10 August 2005 12:36:53 +0200, Bernhard Priewasser wrote:
> Jörn Engel wrote:
> >Please always reply to all.  I hate to miss interesting stuff, just
> >because some idiot removed me from the Cc: list.
> Better now? ;-)

Much, thank you.

> > The next flash FS, whatever it will look like, will not be log
> > structure anymore.  At least, noone I know of is trying to follow that
> > road anymore.  Log-structuring simply doesn't scale.
>
> But log-structuring and handling failsafe issues works comfortable and
> reliable... What's another solution, in matters of (a) robustness and
> (b) scaling?

Artem has described some of the necessary bits in his JFFS3 document.
Ignoring the name, it is quite useful as an introduction.

Basic design must be tree-structured, just like ext2 and all the other
well-known filesystems for hard disks.  Main difference to ext2 is the
requirement for out-of-place updates and garbage collection.

Most of the ugly details can be derived from these three simple
principles.

Jörn

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, but
not tried it.