Compiling JFFS3

Jörn Engel joern at wohnheim.fh-wedel.de
Wed Aug 10 06:05:57 EDT 2005

On Wed, 10 August 2005 11:31:44 +0200, Bernhard Priewasser wrote:

> To: linux-mtd at lists.infradead.org

Please always reply to all.  I hate to miss interesting stuff, just
because some idiot removed me from the Cc: list.

[ For political correctness' sake.  I didn't call you an idiot yet.
Only if you _continue_ to misbehave in this way, I _will_ call you
that.  So please... ;) ]

> Artem B. Bityuckiy wrote:
> >Bernhard Priewasser wrote:
> >>Ferenc Havasi's improvements are doing well? Confusing...
> >His improvements are going to go into JFFS2 AFAIK
>
> Ah, OK. To sum up (for my understanding): Ferenc's improvements (mount
> time, compression) were - beside others - part of JFFS3. JFFS3 design in
> its current form is not satisfactory, it will be cancelled. Anyway,
> Ferenc's improvements are good and should/will be merged into JFFS2.
> In parallel, there are some ideas for solving JFFS2 problems like
> described in the (very nice) "JFFS3 design issues" (scaling: mount time,
> memory consumption, access time). This will be the "new" JFFS3, current
> solutions for scaling and stuff are not available or not satisfactory.
> Correct until now? Still a bit confusing :)

The name "JFFS3" ist confusing.  For that very reason, I consider it
rightout harmful to call anything "JFFS3".  Artem has a different
opinion.  It's a free world, everyone has the right to be wrong, if he
so desires. ;)

JFFS has a strictly log-structured design.  JFFS2 is still
log-structured, although not strictly anymore.  You could call it a
chaptered log - strictly log-structured within a chapter, completely
independent chapters.  JFFS3 (the old one, which Artem just removed)
was still supposed to be log-structured.  So the name made sense.  It
was similar in design.

The next flash FS, whatever it will look like, will not be log
structure anymore.  At least, noone I know of is trying to follow that
road anymore.  Log-structuring simply doesn't scale.  Therefore, this
fundamental change in design should not be hidden behind a name like
"JFFS3" - especially since it could also describe the last, failed
approach.

Jörn

--
Schrödinger's cat is <BLINK>not</BLINK> dead.
-- Illiad