mounting jffs2

Sergei Sharonov sergei.sharonov at halliburton.com
Wed Apr 20 12:34:01 EDT 2005

Hi,
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 14:59 +0000, Sergei Sharonov wrote:
> > Hmm.. then what improvement does summary patch provide? In my case mount
> > returns in 1.5 minutes but then I cannot do anything to flash for
> > another 20+ minutes.
> Poor poor you

More like stuck ;-)
I believe I got the hardware and the OS right - the only trouble is
a filesystem. I cannot believe that I am the only one who runs linux
with large FLASH and requires power-fail safe operation. So far I
checked into:
1. JFFS2 - seems stable, good support, mainstream, but long mount time
makes it unusable with large NAND FLASH.
2. YAFFS2 - still playing with it. Has a lot of promise but is not
IMHO a stable/usable product at this point of time.
3. Reliance/FlashFX Pro - a commercial product that promises to do
what I need but is not yet available for linux. I was told end of Q2,
early Q3.
4. Samsung RFS - there were a few announcements last summer. They never
answered my email though.
5. Stuff like TargetFFS, etc. that has not been ported (and no
intention?) to linux.
6. JFFS3 - still in design stage.
7. M-Systems software - AFAIK I cannot use it with raw NAND FLASH.

If anybody knows of a solution, please post.

> Summary should accelerate mounting but leave the other characteristics
> inact in theory.

What exactly can I do after mount returns: ls is blocked, write is blocked..

Sergei Sharonov