mounting jffs2

Artem B. Bityuckiy dedekind at infradead.org
Thu Apr 14 04:41:58 EDT 2005

> Nope. Just three files: one is 200 MBytes, two others are small.

That's all I need to know. JFFS2 was originally developed to work with
small NOR flashes. After NAND support was added it became possible to
utilize it on top of NAND, but with large flashes it is not very usable.
200 MB file is very large for JFFS2. It eats a lot of RAM when
you open the file and iget() is very slow with it (iget() happens when
you open the file, stat it, ls -l, etc).

This is why I started designing JFFS3, though I do this in background and
don't really spend a lot of time (sponsors are needed :-)). Take a glimpse
at the evolving document at
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/tech/JFFS3design.pdf, especially at the
"JFFS2 analysis chapter", which is far not complete though. This will help
you to realize why it is difficult to use JFFS2 on large flashes,
especially if you have a 200 MB file :-)

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,