JFFS2 and frequent/small write operations

Estelle HAMMACHE estelle.hammache at st.com
Tue Apr 5 04:43:41 EDT 2005

Hi Sergei,

Sergei Sharonov wrote:

> Hi,
> > On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 17:15 +0000, Sergei Sharonov wrote:
> > > I was told that O_SYNC flag for open does not work with JFFS2 (!?).
> >
> > You misunderstood. On NOR flash, O_SYNC does nothing because JFFS2 is
> > entirely synchronous anyway. On NAND flash, I believe that O_SYNC does
> > what it is supposed to -- any write will have reached the medium before
> > the write() system call returns.
>
> Thanks, that is good to know. It was suggested by others
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.mtd/12175/match=+sync
> that it may not work on JFFS2. Estelle?

In the quoted message it was pretty clear that I don't know
one way or another (don't use linux VFS).
I was referring to previous discussions such as
"jffs2_get_inode_nodes(): Data CRC failed on NAND device" in the
February archive, where O_SYNC is _not_ proposed as a solution
to force fsync.
Sorry for the confusion... I'm glad this erroneous notion
is corrected.

bye
Estelle