Nand detect

Ben Dooks ben at fluff.org.uk
Tue Sep 28 06:55:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:17:22PM +0200, lp4u at inwind.it wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a s3c24210 board with BAST architecture, with 2 NAND on board.
> I've compiling the kernel 2.6.9-rc2 after patched it with:
> - patch-2.6.9-rc2-bk11
> - dm9k-rc2.patch
> - patchin (mtd 2004/09/19)
> - nand_multi1.diff

the next release should be in mtd, and we will be able to do
away with the nand_multi1.diff

[snip]

> Bad eraseblock 3946 at 0x03da8000
> No NAND device found!!!
> s3c2410-nand: registered device sets:
> s3c2410-nand: set 0, SmartMedia:error 1

> s3c2410-nand: set 1, chip0:ok:
> Creating 3 MTD partitions on "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
> 0x00000000-0x00004000 : "Boot Agent"
> mtd: Giving out device 0 to Boot Agent
> 0x00004000-0x00400000 : "/boot"
> mtd: Giving out device 1 to /boot
> 0x00400000-0x04000000 : "user"
> mtd: Giving out device 2 to user
> s3c2410-nand: set 2, chip1:ok:
> Creating 3 MTD partitions on "NAND 64MiB 3,3V 8-bit":
> 0x00000000-0x00004000 : "Boot Agent"
> mtd: Giving out device 3 to Boot Agent
> 0x00004000-0x00400000 : "/boot"

> mtd: Giving out device 4 to /boot
> 0x00400000-0x04000000 : "user"
> mtd: Giving out device 5 to user
> s3c2410-nand: set 3, chip2:error 1
>
> I don't get work with the NAND, why?

> MTD detect 5 devices, I've only 2 NAND. Why, occurs that?

each mtd device node is 1 partition, not one chip.

> The proc/ is empty, there aren't device, why?

/proc is for information, not device nodes.

> Must I work with /dev/mtdN or /dev/mtdblockN?

/dev/mtdX and /dev/mtdblockN are the proper devices to
use for accessing the NAND partitions

--
Ben (ben at fluff.org, http://www.fluff.org/)

  'a smiley only costs 4 bytes'