mtdblock cache flush at remount

Todd Poynor tpoynor at mvista.com
Mon Sep 13 21:08:45 EDT 2004

David Woodhouse wrote:
> I don't care much, but if you see a way to make sync() have the desired
> effect I wouldn't be averse to it.

I took a look, and don't see a good way to fix this short of modifying
generic code that requires a commit to media (like remount read-only and
sync).  The modifications might call the block device layer to sync
things from its standpoint, such as issuing a BLKFLSBUF ioctl.  If
mtdblock is unique in that it does not necessarily write a block to
stable storage when the block layer issues a write then this is not
likely to gain much interest.  It's possible that the IDE drivers might
want to flush disk hardware buffers in such a situation as well, much
like what occurs at suspend and shutdown, but I haven't looked into that
yet.  Thanks,

--
Todd Poynor
MontaVista Software