96MB/128MB DOC2000 with 2.4.X kernel

Kurt A. Freiberger kurt at badgers-hill.net
Thu Sep 9 18:44:56 EDT 2004

Brendan Simon wrote:

>>> INFTL [Inverse NAND Flash Translation Layer] M-Systems' latest flash
>>> management algorithm, used by the TrueFFS driver for the following
>>> devices:
>>>
>>> - DiskOnChip Millennium Plus
>>> - Mobile DiskOnChip Plus
>>> - DiskOnChip 2000 DIP (high), 384Mbytes and higher.
>>> - DiskOnChip 2000 DIP (low), 192Mbytes and higher.
>>>
>>> If I had reviewed this table before I responded to your email, I
>>> would have
>>> noticed that the 128M DOC ought to use NFTL.  Are you sure you have a
>>> part
>>> that "looks like a Millennium"?  (All DOC2000 parts that use the
>>> Millennium
>>> hardware interface also use INFTL, and vice versa.)  I'm willing to
>>> believe
>>> the MSYS docs I have might be out of date (I'm pretty sure the
>>> low-profile/high-profile boundary has changed), but it would be good to
>>> confirm this.
>>>

>> I can confirm that the 128MB DOC I received in Australia definately
>> DOES NOT work.  i.e. it looks like it has the new ASIC embedded in
>> it.  A friend of mine in the USA also sees the same thing on his newly
>> received 128MB DOC.  Therefore I think the M-System docs are wrong.
>>
>> Anyone know about the 96MB DOC2000 ????
>> Is it an old style or new style DOC2000 ????
>

> A colleague of mine just tested a 96MB DOC and he says that it works
> perfectly with the 2.4 kernel.
> i.e. it is correctly detected as a DOC2000 device.
>
> Brendan Simon.

I have trie the DOC2000 with both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  It seems to be
detected correctly, but I get a message about it being "temporarily
unavailable".  What gives?

Thanks,
Kurt

Kurt A. Freiberger     Austin, TX	kurt at badgers-hill.net
Amateur Radio Callsign WB5BBW  		AIM Handle: WB5BBW
"Some people are like Slinkys - Generally considered useless, but
  you can't help smiling when you see them falling down the stairs."