Handling non-uniform erase blocks

Alex Bennee kernel-hacker at bennee.com
Wed Sep 1 07:30:30 EDT 2004

Hi,

We are using Am29LV160D flash chips on our SH based board. The chip has
a series on small blocks at the top or bottom of the address range for
use in bootstrap code or configuration storage.

When I set up my partitions I get this report:

Creating 4 MTD partitions on "India1 FLASH":
0x00000000-0x00010000 : "Boot Code"
0x00010000-0x001e0000 : "Kernel"
0x001e0000-0x001fc000 : "FPGA"
mtd: partition "FPGA" doesn't end on an erase block -- force read-only
0x001fc000-0x00200000 : "Config"

Which indicates the treats the device as having a series of equal sized
erase blocks so it can't erase the small blocks on their own. Is this a
limitation of the mtd CFI code? Has anyone attempted to address this
issue?

I can have a look at implementing support if needed but before I do I
thought it worth checking with the list. I'm afraid I got no joy out of
google.

--
Alex, Kernel Hacker: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/

"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the flexibility
of assembly language with the power of assembly language."