JFFS2 behaviour when large number of files are created.

Artem B. Bityuckiy abityuckiy at yandex.ru
Wed Oct 20 05:23:29 EDT 2004

I also don't see any other reason why the mount is much slower if there
are directories with many files in the file system. The only reason I
see is (what David said) that direntries are stored (in RAM) in the
lists, and it is relatively slow operation to find/insert/delete
direntries from the list. Instead, nodes are stored in RB-tees. So, in
case of slow CPU, there may be significant difference.

David, If you mean inode checkpoints saying "snapshots", I don't think
they help to increase the mount time (But! They will increase the first
directory access delay!). If you mean what Ferenc is implementing, this
will increase the mount speed, but file system with "large" directories
will be mounted slower anyway ( IMHO, of course :-) ).

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,