Bad Blocks On JFFS2/NAND

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Tue Oct 19 17:55:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:45, Michael Moedt wrote:
> 1. Do you know what usually causes the "Newly-erased block contained
> word   "... error?
> Is it caused by a interrupted (or otherwise failed) erase?  Would
> power-fail cause this?

It's caused by a failed erase. If the chip interface is correct then it
is usually a problem of a bad page/block. If not (e.g. wrong timing) it
might return too early from an erase.

> 2. Would this cause good blocks to be incorrectly [and permanently]
> marked as bad?

Only if failes 5 times after mount. The counter is reset with each
mount.

> I think I may have seen something similar on my system.  I'm
> considering writing a test to see if this is a problem for me, but
> I'd like to learn more about this also.

Which version of the mtd/nand code ?

There was a problem with the page cache, which was not invalidated on
erase some time ago, but its fixed.

tglx