Loosing grub mbr after mounting jffs2 image with loop0 and mtdblock0

cdlinux at koala.de cdlinux at koala.de
Wed Oct 13 09:40:14 EDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 01:20:17PM +0200, cdlinux at koala.de wrote:

> I suppose, it has to do with the way I mount the jffs2 partition (as I'm
> actually mounting the entire image as loopdev/jffs2)...?
> I'm unsure about what would be the right way to do this.

Sorry for posting this on the wrong list.

For completeness sake:
The solution was fairly simple, all i had to do was set the loopdevice up
correctly with the right byte-offset inside the image and forget about the
erasesz-option to the blkmtd module (eg):

  losetup -o 5881928 /dev/loop0 file.img
  modprobe blkmtd device=/dev/loop0
  mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock0 /mnt/cfmnt

  umount /dev/mtdblock0
  rmmod blkmtd; rmmod jffs2;
  losetup -d /dev/loop0

After that, one can safely dd the image to the cf-card w/o loosing
partitionings, grub etc.

Sorry again,
chris