Patch !

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Mon Oct 4 17:04:58 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 22:47, Nicolas Pouillon wrote:
> > The configuration register reflects the state of the IF_CFG pin.
>
> I assume this is an hardware configuration.
> Would it be possible to change 16bit access to 32bit in MTD chip while
> running?

RTFM !!!!

Configuration  Register
Type: Read/Write (except bit 7, which is Read Only)
7 IF_CFG (Interface Configuration). Reflects the state of the IF_CFG
input pin.

That's a bit to read what the hardware is configured for. I doubt that
there is a possibility to reconfigure the PCB by software. :)

> I tried to reconfigure PXA bank mode to 32 bit mode: probing no more
> works, and mmio transfers dont crash any more...

That's really surprising that it works no more.

> So if I understood well, PXA just makes kernel crash if accessing a
> 16bit mapped zone with 32bits words (quite normal, in fact, but not
> straightforward for me as I'm learning at the same time ;)

This is either a configuration problem or a bug/feature of the MTD code.
Which driver / part of the MTD framework is the source of this problem ?

> As I saw different bug reports/issues on MLs with this kind of thing
> (PXA kernel crashing while probing mtd), shouldn't a #warning, or a
> printk just before probing annoucing the issue could be added ?

He ? An Oops or a BUG are warning enough, that something is going wrong.
If we put for everything what can go wrong a warning into the kernel
then the majority of the kernel source will be printk and string
constants instead of functional code.

tglx