inode checkpoints

Artem Bityuckiy dedekind at oktetlabs.ru
Mon Oct 4 09:56:29 EDT 2004

> I agree that these changes will benefit NAND the most, but they are also
> valuable for all flashes.
>
> Say I have a 16 MiB file on my NOR flash.  When a stat or open is done,
> iget is called, which calls readinode, which then goes and reads all the
> nodes off of the flash to build up the inode information.  I've seen
> that take upwards of 2 seconds, just because of the number of data nodes
> that have to be read.
>
> Now, same situation, but I have a checkpoint node out there.  I don't
> have to read _all_ the data nodes because the checkpoint gives me a
> snapshot of at least some of them, right?
>
> Or maybe I am extending your idea a bit further than what you
> intended...
>
> josh

You are right in general. I would like to say that the NAND ICPs idea is
*superset* for NOR ICP idea, not vice versa... (ICP=inode check point)

But I believe the NOR ICPs shouldn't be implemented together with NAND
cips since NOR ICPs are much simpler. For example, the need bych simpler
data structures, algorithms, etc. I dont think it is a good Idea to have
hunderds of #ifdefs ...

--
Best regards, Artem B. Bityuckiy
Oktet Labs (St. Petersburg), Software Engineer.