Supporting flash that powers up locked

Todd Poynor tpoynor at mvista.com
Wed Nov 24 19:37:36 EST 2004

Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 16:25, Todd Poynor wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>If anyone has any suggestions or comments as to why this wouldn't work
>>for their device or usage model or why this isn't the right way to go
>>about things then I'd appreciate it, thanks. -- Todd
>

> Not everyone uses mtd partitions...

Unfortunately options for doing anything terribly intelligent about it
seem to be few in such a case.  If somebody wants MTD to automatically
figure out what the proper locking status is for these chips then the
partition map is the only thing we've got to go on (at present anyhow).
  So it could be argued that by not using partitions you've decided to
handle it yourself (such as explicit flash_unlock of needed ranges after
userspace startup).  I'm guessing that some new way of specifying what
areas of flash are intended to be writeable vs. read-only, apart from
the existing partition maps, would not be well received.  But if there
is some nifty way of doing this outside the partition framework then I'm
interested.  And doing nothing or doing something simplistic are
certainly options as well.  Thanks,

--
Todd