[patch] 2.6.10-rc2-mm2: MTD_XIP dependencies

Adrian Bunk bunk at stusta.de
Fri Nov 19 08:35:00 EST 2004

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 08:58:26PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 05:31:32PM -0500, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > > Can we make it conditional on CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL instead?
> > > It would be less messy IMHO.
> >
> > I copied the dependency from the #ifdef before the #error.
> >
> > The #error should either go or be the same than the Kconfig dependency.
>
> And on what basis?  This just doesn't make sense.
>
> CONFIG_MTD_XIP is there to be compatible with kernels which are made
> XIP.  This currently means _all_ ARM flavours the kernel currently
> supports.  Yet there is only SA11x0 and PXA2xx which have proper MTD_XIP
> primitives ence the #error.
>
> My position is therefore that the CONFIG_MTD_XIP should depend on
> CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL since this is what it is for, and the #error stay as
> is.  If ever you make x86 kernel XIPable you'll need to add the missing
> bits guarded by the #error anyway.
>
> And no, allyesconfig makes little sense on ARM as it has been discussed
> on lkml before.

I'm not talking about allyesconfig.

The Kconfig file should express all dependencies of a driver.
If a driver doesn't compile, it should not be selectable - and not
#error at compile time.

Rethinking it, perhaps the following expresses the dependencies best:

  depends on ... && XIP_KERNEL && (ARCH_SA1100 || ARCH_PXA || BROKEN)

This would push the #error as a dependency on BROKEN to the Kconfig
file.

> Nicolas

cu
Adrian