NAND pages cache?

Artem Bityuckiy dedekind at
Mon Nov 15 04:43:43 EST 2004

Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 08:49 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>>On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 11:49 +0300, Artem Bityuckiy wrote:
>>>So, the obvious idea how to avoid this is to introduce something like
>>>NAND pages cache. The cache will keep several NAND pages which were last
>>>I don not know is it good to do this only in JFFS2 or on the MTD NAND layer?
>>I thought we already did this in the MTD NAND layer, since we had to
>>read whole pages there to do ECC anyway. Thomas?
> We do caching only if a page is read partially. If we read a full page
> we read directly into the fs buffer.
> The partial reads happen when we read nodes. The full page reads happen
> when we read data. That's sufficient and captures most of the double
> reads on the same page.
> tglx
Hmm, It seems I do not know something about MTD. I thought it *always*
reads whole
pages in orger to always check ECC... I'll see this more close.

Ok, thanks for comment.

Best regards, Artem B. Bityuckiy
Oktet Labs (St. Petersburg), Software Engineer.
+78124286709 (office) +79112449030 (mobile)
E-mail: dedekind at, web: