JFFS2 prints

Artem B. Bityuckiy abityuckiy at yandex.ru
Sat Nov 13 06:26:59 EST 2004

Hello,

I wonder, is there some reasons why JFFS2 doesn't use some macros to
output information? My be in order to be eCos-compatable? Or may be it
is just dirty work and nobody has time to do it?

I mean, why do not we introduce macros like:

/* JFFS2 message */
#define JFFS2MSG(fmt, args...) \
     printk(KERN_NOTICE fmt, args);

/* JFFS2 debug message */
#define JFFS2DMSG(level, fmt, args...) \
     do { \
         if (level <= JFFS2_DEBUG_LEVEL) \
             printk(KERN_DEBUG "(%d) %s(): " fmt, level, __FUNCTION__,
args); \
     }while(0)

/* JFFS2 warning message */
#define JFFS2EMSG(fmt, args...) \
     do { \
         printk(KERN_ERR "JFFS2 Warning! %s(): " fmt, __FUNCTION__, args); \
     } while(0)

/* JFFS2 error message */
#define JFFS2EMSG(fmt, args...) \
     do { \
         printk(KERN_ERR "JFFS2 Error! %s(): " fmt, __FUNCTION__, args); \
     } while(0)

It is not very readable to use output like this:
D1(printk(KERN_DEBUG "bababa"));

But the main thing why I think it would be nice to introduce macros like
these is that the messages will be a bit standard. I mean that all
errors will have the same prefix. It is useful when you develop JFFS2
with debugging output on. In this case you will just s/JFFS2 Error and
see all the error messages. But currently, it is hard to find all the
error messages in JFFS2 because some of them use prefix "Error", some
just contain the word "failed", etc.

Thanks.

--
Best Regards,