Getting mtd to work with IBM Evaluation boards (Ebony/Walnut)

Chan Siu Ming namely_void at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Nov 9 01:47:50 EST 2004

 --- bandwidthcrunch <bandwidthcrunch at gmail.com>
wrote:

http://kelp.or.kr/korweblog/stories.php?story=04/06/30/7742286
> is
> doing something with one of these boards .

I've noticed that, too, but my Korean must be a bit
rusty since most of the text seems incomprehensible.

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:19:32 +0000 (GMT), Chan Siu
> Ming
> <namely_void at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > My problems are:
> > * There doesn't seem to be a map for Walnut
> boards,
> >   anyone has got one?
> > * Ebony can read from the flash well, but cannot
> > write.
> >   Flash_info says: "0 erase regions". Flash_unlock
> and
> >   all write attemps fail, when trying to open the
> >   device in O_RDWR or O_WRONLY mode. What might be
> >   the problem?

I looked at code in maps/ebony.c and it seems to use
map_rom for one the chips. That must be why it cannot
be written to. The chips are AM29F040 which are JEDEC
chips. If I change the map_rom to "jedec_probe", I
think it should work. But I would like to know why
it has been set to map_rom originally. Is there some
problem that makes the actual flash chip driver not
to work with Ebony board, or what?