Getting mtd to work with IBM Evaluation boards (Ebony/Walnut)

Chan Siu Ming namely_void at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 8 16:19:32 EST 2004

Hello,
I'm trying to get mtd to work with IBM Walnut and
Ebony PPC evaluation boards. I tried with mtd CVS
from 2004.11.03 and Linux 2.6.9, but seem to have
some problems. Here's first what I did do with
success:
* patched kernel with CVS mtd and compiled it,
  everything into the kernel - no modules. I'm
  not quite sure what I should have enabled in
  the config, but I guess these boards have CFI
  AMD chips in them.
* populated /dev with the MAKEDEV in mtd tree
* compiled the mtd utils
My problems are:
* There doesn't seem to be a map for Walnut boards,
  anyone has got one?
* Ebony can read from the flash well, but cannot
write.
  Flash_info says: "0 erase regions". Flash_unlock and
  all write attemps fail, when trying to open the
  device in O_RDWR or O_WRONLY mode. What might be
  the problem?
Tested the physical ram test device on Walnut (mapped
to the boards SRAM at 0xFFF00000) and that worked
fine.

Thanks for any help.