bad block replacement

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Wed Mar 31 02:15:38 EST 2004

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 04:18, William J. Beksi wrote:
> I'm using a Samsung KM29U256T 32Mb nand flash with 4 partitions on a
> cramfs. I'm trying to implement ECC and a method for replacing bad
> blocks. The spare array consists of 16 bytes, positions 512-528, the
> 517th position being reserved for the bad block marker.

The generic nand driver knows all about this. ECC is implemented and bad block
management is done in  NAND aware filesystems.

Using cramfs on NAND is not really a good idea. Cramfs is _NOT_ aware of NAND
flash. There exist JFFS2 (compressing) and YAFFS (not compressing), which are
NAND aware. Use one of those and you are done with out any changes in the
code.

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de