do_erase_oneblock failing to detect lock-bit failure

Dan Eisenhut deisenhut at wi.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 08:30:10 EST 2004

(Corporate email didn't do references, switching to something nicer)
Now that I've verified my lock-bits are setting and clearing okay, I'm
trying to test that erase fails properly when a block is locked.

We have a strange setup on our custom board.  Data lines 0-7 are swapped
with lines 8-15 going into the CFI flash chip.  This is what the
hardware guys are calling "byte-lane swapping" or reordering.  To
compensate for this, I had to enable CONFIG_MTD_CFI_LE_BYTE_SWAP.  This
appears to be working for reading and writing data.  (Is there a better
way to handle this?)

But because of this, do_erase_oneblock fails to handle a failure when a
block is locked.  Starting at line 1372 of cfi_cmdset_0001.c, cfi_read
returns a value of 0xa200 into status (a short) indicating ready, error
in block erasure, and block lock-bit detected.  chipstatus (a unsigned
char) is assigned the value 0x00 since the 0xa2 portion is chopped off
in the implicit type conversion.  My interleave is 1 so chipstatus is
not modified (only one chip for this bank).

Then when it gets down to checking for the protection bit it compares
against "chipstatus & 0x20" instead of "status & CMD(0x20)" so it
automatically fails.  Eventually a zero is returned indicating erase
success.

Is byte-lane swapping common?  Wouldn't this code fail for someone
without byte-lane swapping but requiring little endian enabled?  By
changing the if statements with (chipstatus & 0xNN) with (status &
CMD(0xNN)) appears to correct my problem, but I sure this is not the
best solution.

Dan

Line#1372 - cfi_cmdset_0001.c
-----------------------------
status = cfi_read(map, adr);

/* check for lock bit */
if (status & CMD(0x3a)) {
        unsigned char chipstatus = status;
        if (status != CMD(status & 0xff)) {
                int i;
                for (i = 1; i<CFIDEV_INTERLEAVE; i++) {
                              chipstatus |= status >> (cfi->device_type
* 8);
                }
                printk(KERN_WARNING "Status is not identical for all
chips: 0x%llx. Merging to give 0x%02x\n", (__u64)status, chipstatus);
        }
        /* Reset the error bits */
        cfi_write(map, CMD(0x50), adr);
        cfi_write(map, CMD(0x70), adr);

        if ((chipstatus & 0x30) == 0x30) {
                printk(KERN_NOTICE "Chip reports improper command
sequence: status 0x%llx\n", (__u64)status);
                ret = -EIO;
        } else if (chipstatus & 0x02) {
                /* Protection bit set */
                ret = -EROFS;