Running out of space on MTD partition with JFFS2

Rajesh B. V. rajeshbv at intotoinc.com
Thu Mar 25 04:15:27 EST 2004

Hi All,

I mounted JFFS2 file system through device 'mtdblock4' on my ARM target.
I need to update some files ( kind of configuration files ) periodically in
the JFFS2 partition.
For this i create the files in RAM and just copy the files from RAM to
JFFS2, overwriting the previous files.

But the problem i am facing is, after doing for couple of times it is
giving error saying
"No space left on device "
I could not understand why the space is consumed on the JFFS2 partition as
the files i am updating are not bigger in size compared to older ones.

When i run " df -h" after every copy, i observed that always the free
memory is becoming less on JFFS2 partition, even though the files i replace
are of same size.

I will be thankful if anybody give a hint on why it is happening, even
though there are no new files added.

Regards,
--Rajesh