Large block NAND

Thomas Gleixner tglx at linutronix.de
Thu Mar 18 08:11:25 EST 2004

On Thursday 18 March 2004 13:14, llandre wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm going to write a driver for the Samsung Flash K9F1G08U0M (128MB).
> The main characteristics are:
> - erase block size: 128 KB
> - page program size: 2 KB
> - total chip size: 128 MB
> - tR = 25 us
>
> This chip is not fully compatible with the standard NAND flash commands
> defined in
> nand.h (Samsung call these devices "large block").
> Thus, in my understanding, I must provide the following custom functions:
> my_board_nand_command
> my_board_nand_wait
> my_board_nand_block_bad

Those functions should be incorporated into nand.c, as they are generic. So
all boards which use those "large block" devices can use them.

Be aware, that the available NAND aware filesystems must be changed too, as
they are not aware of pagesizes > 512 byte, but if IIRC  the datasheet
details it is possible to write 4  512 byte sub-pages to the device without
violating the specs. Anyway changes will be neccecary.

> Anybody wrote a driver for a similar device?
> Have the MTD maintainers already planned to support these devices?

Yep, but nobody forced me / us to implement it by paying for it. :)

--
Thomas
linutronix - competence in embedded & realtime linux
mail: tglx at linutronix.de