Strataflash standard and LinearFlash vs ATA Flash

Mike Wellington wellington at lucent.com
Thu Mar 18 07:40:02 EST 2004

   I am new to Flash memory.  I have just ported
linux to the PPC405.   Here is my question:

Our final hw will have Intel Strataflash.  Our
development board does not have any flash.  We
would like to write flash drivers for the Intel
Strataflash family on the development board.
I think this can be done by purchasing a PCMCIA
Linear Flash card.  You can get 20MB for $110.
However ATA flash seems to be larger and cheaper:
160MB for $80.

If I want to talk to the memory using the same
Strataflash interface that I will have to use
on the final hw, do I have to buy a linear
flash, or can I just buy an ATA flash?

--

=mike wellington
wellington at lucent.com