mtdparts howto required!!

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Mar 18 03:42:52 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 12:30 +1300, Robin Gilks wrote:
> Don't you just love it when someone replies to their own post!!

I do when they've solved their own problem. :)

> Problem solved - it would be nice if it were written down somewhere that
> the physmap.c example is only that - a non-working example in that it
> doesn't define a master mtd device which means you can't define the
> partitions on it!!

I'm not sure I understand this. What does physmap.c need to do other
than passing in the 'master' mtd device as the first argument to
parse_mtd_partitions()?

> Also, when a master device is defined there is nothing to indicate that
> the mtdparts command line has to use the same name as the mtd_id - in
> fact I've found nothing that defines what mtd_id is.

cmdlinepart.c line 13:
 * <mtd-id>  := unique name used in mapping driver/device

I'll add '(mtd->name)' to that in the hope of making it clearer.

> Oh well - its kept me entertained for 3 days instead of doing real work...

Patches to improve documentation are always welcome :)

--
dwmw2