jffs2 performance

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Jul 27 16:48:48 EDT 2004

Hi everybody,

on my job we're building an embedded device using the ecos operating system
which comes with optional jffs2 support.
We need to be *very* fast on startup. I read different things about jffs2
regarding performance.
We are using a Intel XScale processor 200 Mhz, with a 16 MB flash, from which
8 MB will be used for jffs2 (or whatever we decide to use).
The file system will contains about 10 to 20 files. One very small file (4..20
bytes) which is written very often, some intermediate files which are written
only very seldom, and a big file consisting of approx. 1000 entries each 500
to 2000 bytes large, the single entries written often. We could also use 1000
small files each containing just one entry, but I guess this would be slower.

So what performance can I expect, especially how long will mounting approx.
take (approx. 0.1 s or 1 s or 10 s) ?

I guess writing one (1000 byte) entry to an open file should be quite fast,
<<0.1 s.

Can you give me some pointers ?

Thanks
Alex

P.S. I'm not subscribed, so please put me in the CC