optimize number of erases on nand

Cosmin Cremarenco cosmin.cremarenco at inria.fr
Thu Jul 8 10:09:24 EDT 2004

Hello

I am trying to optimize the number of necessary erases on a nand flash
memory.
In fact I want to write many times the same page without deleting the
outer erase unit, that contains it, everytime.

I looked at the Linux MTD driver and it seems possible
(at that abstraction level, at least).

Quote from /usr/src/linux2.6/drivers/mtd/nand/nand.
 /*
        * The NAND device assumes that it is always writing to
        * a cleanly erased page. Hence, it performs its internal
        * write verification only on bits that transitioned from
        * 1 to 0. ....
        */

Is this hardware dependent or it should work on every
NAND type flash memory?

Thanks a lot,
  Cosmin