MTD support on Motorola Hawk ASIC-based boards

Thomas W. Nelson twn at dot4.com
Tue Jul 6 16:35:52 EDT 2004

We have the somewhat dubious honor of migrating a couple of customer's
applications environments from VxWorks to TimeSys Linux on obsolete
Motorola MVME2400 and MCP750 boards (the wheels of progress in certain
defense and telecomm hardware venues turn *very* slowly).  Everything
else is working fine except we've been unable to get the MTD subsystem
to successfully probe and recognize the 8 MB user flash on these boards.

The basic configuration is nothing out of the ordinary: 4 AMD 29LV160BT
(2 MB) devices in x16 mode, arranged in two 32-bit wide even/odd address
banks.  The one major quirk in the design is that the Hawk memory
controller ASIC only permits 32-bit wide aligned writes to this array
(any other type of write -> /dev/null, reads are unconstrained).  We're
very confident that we have the registers in the Hawk set up correctly
and we've spent many hours trying all the chip type/bus width/interleave
permutations available in the existing MTD implementation with no
success.  Therefore, before we embark on any inappropriate or
unnecessary major surgery we wanted to ask the community for any
suggestions, ideas, or other pearls of wisdom.

Thanks for any assistance...

--
Tom Nelson
Sr. Consulting Engineer, Dot4, Inc.