couple questions about defining flash partitions on my rpxlite

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 1 17:04:41 EDT 2004

   from my reading of the kernel source and looking at a old rpxlite.c
file that was hacked for a previous project, i just want to clarify a
couple things about defining flash partitions on an rpxlite board.
(i want to set this up under the 2.6 kernel, but i'm also looking at
an rpxlite.c file from a previous 2.4-based project.)

1) if i start with a single 8M flash chip, i'm assuming i need
    to define only a single map_info structure containing the basic
    info for that flash chip.  that is, name, size, buswidth and so
    on.  i ask since, in this hacked version, the programmer defined
    a separate map_info structure (with, of course, identical info)
    for every partition he created on that same chip -- i have no idea
    why, and it certainly seems like overkill.

2) in that same 2.4-based rpxlite.c file, the map_info structure
    defined the various read/write/copy routines.  however, in 2.6,
    i see that you don't have to define these unless you select
    "non-linear mappings of flash chips" during the kernel
    configuration, is that correct?

    that should do for now.  thanks.

rday