64 bit bus access on a customed MPC8245 board

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jan 28 10:59:30 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 08:48 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Shawn Jin <shawnxtech at yahoo.com> writes:
> > I'm working on a customed MPC8245 board with flash
> > chip Am29LV320 and trying to enable MTD driver
> > support.

> I looked and I can't find documentation for that chip.
> Is it an atmel one?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26518.pdf

It's 16-bit, CFI-compliant, and (obviously) AMD command set.

> > The configuration is 32 bit bus width in each chip
> > with 2 chips interleaved. So CONFIG_MTD_CFI_B8 and
> > CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I2 are defined.

Not possible. Refer back to your documentation. The chip is not capable
of 32-bit operation. You probably mean 16*2, which means you want to
enable CFI_B4 and CFI_I2. But it would be better just to turn off the
advanced options and let it work it out for itself.

> Ok so you have configured it for 2 8bit chips that are
> interleaved to form a 16bit path.

B8 is 8-byte, not 8-bit. It's buswidth. He configured it to 2 32-bit
chips in a 64-bit path, which isn't correct.

--
dwmw2