Intel flash and cfi_probe.c

Thayne Harbaugh tharbaugh at lnxi.com
Tue Jan 20 17:40:47 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 14:50, Dan Post wrote:

> What would happen if we issued an 0xF0;0xFF to an AMD chip?  Or 0xFF;0xF0?
> Any AMD chip-heads care to answer?  It looks like it will "work" on Intel chips...

This is what jedec_probe.c v1.44 does:

static inline void jedec_reset(u32 base, struct map_info *map,
	struct cfi_private *cfi)
{
	/* Reset */
	cfi_send_gen_cmd(0xF0, 0, base, map, cfi, cfi->device_type, NULL);
	/* Some misdesigned intel chips do not respond for 0xF0 for a reset,
	 * so ensure we're in read mode.  Send both the Intel and the AMD command
	 * for this.  Intel uses 0xff for this, AMD uses 0xff for NOP, so
	 * this should be safe.
	 */
	cfi_send_gen_cmd(0xFF, 0, base, map, cfi, cfi->device_type, NULL);
	/* FIXME - should have reset delay before continuing */
}

--
Thayne Harbaugh
Linux Networx