JFFS2 mount time

Kenneth Johansson kenneth.johansson at etx.ericsson.se
Tue Jan 13 12:40:09 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 18:29, Jörn Engel wrote:
> On Tue, 13 January 2004 17:21:15 +0100, Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> >
> > hmm I reread the firt post why is read so slow?? When I thought about
> > using nand I read that reading a byte took something like 50 ns. That is
> > like 20MB per second for an 8 bit device. This is in the region where it
> > did not pay to be smart,the accesses overhead to do read only what's
> > needed is greater than the time wasted reading uneccessary data.
>
> But on nand it is not only possible, but also likely that flash size
> is greater than ram size.  Does your approach still work then?
>
> Jörn

Obviously no. But maybe it's still cheaper to do the work in big chunks
I don't know you need to actually do a test to see what happens. It's
not so easy to see in advance what will happen. I thought for sure that
it would be faster to only read what was needed but it was not, at least
not on a 200 MHz ppc if you have an P4 3GHz the picture is quite
different.