JFFS2 mount time

Jarkko Lavinen (NMP/Helsinki) jarkko.lavinen at nokia.com
Tue Jan 13 07:50:31 EST 2004

I am working with an embedded device with 64MB nand chip. I am able to
read from chip at 6MB/s and able to read the whole chip in 10 seconds
using character mtd device. The device has Omap1610 running at 190MHz,
kernel 2.4.21.

With 80% file system usage the mount time is 8 seconds which is
unacceptable for root file system on a handheld device. I assume the
scan time is linear with respect to the size of the flash partition
and the file system usage.

Is there anything that could be done to reduce the mount time of large
JFFS2 partitions?  Lazy mounting with prioritized scanning?

Jarkko Lavinen