put_chip() called with oldstate 1!! (linux 2.6.0-rmk2)

Lothar Wassmann LW at KARO-electronics.de
Thu Jan 8 06:04:32 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm using the MTD driver with Intel flash chips on a PXA255 platform
with Redboot partitions. Whenever I write data to the flash and
subsequently unmount and remount the modified partition I get several
messages: 'put_chip() called with oldstate 1!!'.

The put_chip() routine has this switch statement:
|	switch(chip->oldstate) {
|	case FL_ERASING:
|		chip->state = chip->oldstate;
|		/* What if one interleaved chip has finished and the
|		   other hasn't? The old code would leave the finished
|		   one in READY mode. That's bad, and caused -EROFS
|		   errors to be returned from do_erase_oneblock because
|		   that's the only bit it checked for at the time.
|		   As the state machine appears to explicitly allow
|		   sending the 0x70 (Read Status) command to an erasing
|		   chip and expecting it to be ignored, that's what we
|		   do. */
|		cfi_write(map, CMD(0xd0), adr);
|		cfi_write(map, CMD(0x70), adr);
|		chip->oldstate = FL_READY;
|		chip->state = FL_ERASING;
|		break;
|
|	case FL_READY:
|		/* We should really make set_vpp() count, rather than doing this */
|		DISABLE_VPP(map);
|		break;
|	default:
|		printk(KERN_ERR "put_chip() called with oldstate %d!!\n", chip->oldstate);
|	}

Since I'm not familiar with the details of flash programming, I don't
know what to do with this error message. Should the case FL_STATUS:
(oldstate == 1) be added to the switch to silently ignore this case,
or is there something wrong with the driver or my flash chips?

Lothar Wassmann