Changing parameters on the fly - possible?

Mark Richards markr at massmicro.com
Wed Jan 7 22:03:22 EST 2004

Greetings.

I am so grateful for the MTD drivers for Linux. I've had some problems
getting them established in a Mandrake 9.2 environment, but finally got a
successful kernel build completed under the 2.4.22-21mdk kernel version.
That's a few builds later than I had originally planned.  I found out, the
hard way, that Mandrake has a special kernel build that mates with their
desktop, etc.  I also had problems loading the drivers as modules using
insmod, so resorted to the custom kernel route.

My problem is that the build I did is not finding the DOC chip.  I get the
following from dmesg:

Using configured disk on chip address 0xd400
No recognized DskOnChip devices found.

However using the dInfo utility I can see the chip OK.

I was a bit over-zealous, and set the probe address manually in xconfig
before building the kernel.  Maybe this is my problem?  Is there any way to
change the behaviour of the drivers for the DOC 2000 such that, for example,
I can remove the fixed probe address, or change other parameters. or do I
have to build all over again?