Intel 28F640 cfi_cmdset_0001 chip is FL_STATUS after MTD_close

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 10:17:17 EST 2004

Hello,

I hope I have the right list for this question.

I'm looking into a problem with some Intel 28F640 flash on a powerPC
board. I find that the cfi_cmdset_0001 code leaves the flash in the
FL_STATUS state after MTD_close. The chips remain in this state which
leaves the memory unreadable.

I would have expected the flash to be left in the read array state when
not in use.

I think the chip status in the driver and that in the chip is in sync,
ie. the driver is deliberately leaving the chip in this state.

I found a previous reference to a similar problem:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2001-November/003603.html

The problem described there is more serious in that the chip and the
driver seem to get out of step with regards to the FL_STATUS state.

Is there a reason why the chip is not left in the read array state after
an MTD_close? My first thought is to modify cfi_intelext_sync, called by
MTD_close so that the chip is left in the read array state after the
sync command, but being a newcomer to this code I might be missing
something important.

Comments?

-Cam
--