JFFS2 corruption

Florian Schirmer jolt at tuxbox.org
Sun Feb 8 12:02:42 EST 2004

Hi,

> Interesting. That would be a problem in map_copy_from(), which is either
> just memcpy_fromio() or a function provided by your map driver,
> depending on whether you have CONFIG_MTD_COMPLEX_MAPPINGS enabled.
>
> Can you check what memcpy_fromio() does directly? Try changing the
> definition of map_copy_from() in include/linux/mtd/map.h or
> drivers/mtd/maps/map_funcs.c or your map driver (depending on your
> configuration) to copy a byte at a time, and see if that fixes it.

Yeah. You're absolutely right. I should have checked cmdset2 before claiming
it is broken.

memcopy_fromio is memcpy on MIPS. I've checked the memcpy implementation in
arch/mips/lib/memcpy.S and it is using byte transfers for remaining byte
transfers. So i expect at least the MIPS and SH plattform to be broken for
non buswidth==1 setups. Haven't checked other archs yet.

I'm wondering what assumptions can be made about memcpy's access patterns?
Looks like nobody even guarantees a specific access type. But we need to make
sure every access to the flash matches the bus width, don't we?

My proposed solution would be to handle remaining transfers in
maps.h/map_funcs.c already. So that the arch code only has to handle full
transfers. See attached patch. I've to admit that its very hard/impossible to
detect the remaining byte size. BITS_PER_LONG / 2 seems at least the best
guess we can make. This will handle SH, MIPS32 and MIPS64 just fine.

> The '%zd' modifier is the correct way to print a size_t; the old %Z was
> a gcc-ism. It's supported by the 2.6 and I thought also the current 2.4
> kernels; what kernel are you using, precisely? It's a trivial patch to
> add it.

I'm still using what was provided by Broadcom/Linksys (2.4.20). So dont worry
about that. I've ported the Broadcom code over to current 2.4.x but went back
to 2.4.20 due to the jffs2 corruption.

Regards,
    Florian