BUG in mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c for 64bit width flashes (linuxppc_2_4_devel)

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Feb 6 14:55:48 EST 2004

Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 06:53, Steffen Rumler wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have found the following bug in mtd/chips/cfi_cmdset_0002.c
> > for 64bit bus width.
> >
> > The routine do_write_oneword() uses the DQ6 algorithm in order
> > to detect the end of programming phase (see bitkeeper: linuxppc_2_4_devel)
> >

> > oldstatus = cfi_read(map, adr);
> > status = cfi_read(map, adr);
> >
> > while( (status & dq6) != (oldstatus & dq6) &&
> >          (status & dq5) != dq5 &&
> >          !time_after(jiffies, timeo) ) {
> >
> >      if (need_resched()) {
> >          cfi_spin_unlock(chip->mutex);
> >          yield();
> >          cfi_spin_lock(chip->mutex);
> >      } else
> >          udelay(1);
> >
> >      oldstatus = cfi_read( map, adr );
> >      status = cfi_read( map, adr );
> > }
> >
> > There are two contiguous calls of cfi_read() to check for the DQ6 toggling.
> >
> > But for 64bit one cfi_read() results in two flash accesses, one for
> > the upper 32bit and the other for lower 32bit.

Possibly there are 2 accesses on the bus but not to a single
flash chip.  If there is a problem it is with your map
driver, not generating 64bit bus transactions.

My dimm memory says you need to use the FPU to generate a 64bit
access on PPC.

> > In this way the DQ6 bits toggle
> > for the two accesses related to one cfi_read(). The first access will be
> > compared with the third and the second with the fourth.
> > The end detection is broken, the body of the while loop will never be
> executed.
>

> > I suggest to switch to the alternative DQ7 algorithm.

I suggest you use an uptodate version of cfi_cmdset_0002 before
complaining.  The logic that looks at dq5 in that loop was removed a
long time ago.  Of course the last merge with 2.4.x may have
happened even longer ago.

Eric