System blocked for a while by heavily fragmented file on a jffs2 partition

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Dec 21 06:37:37 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 17:17 +0100, Koenders, Eric - NL wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? Maybe more agressive
> defragmentation behaviour of the GC? Or an fsck like tool to defragment a
> file system?

It would help to concentrate harder on garbage-collecting the files with
tiny nodes. Currently we do keep track of whether a node is an optimal
representation ('REF_PRISTINE') or not, but we only use that when we're
_actually_ garbage collecting; we don't use it to decide which blocks to
GC.

Also, the oft-suggested optimisation of writing new nodes out to a
_separate_ block from GC-rewritten nodes would probably help to improve
the GC performance here.

--
dwmw2