JFFS2 write performance boost ...

Gareth Bult (Local) gareth at linux.co.uk
Mon Dec 13 04:30:43 EST 2004

Hi,

Further to my last email, many thanks to Jarkko Lavinen who pointed me
in the direction of "mtdblock" as opposed to JFFS2 itself re; the speed
issue.

Apparently mtdblock isn't too efficient .. raw tests give me;
Read: 2.5Mb/sec
Write: 30k/sec

I've now rewritten most of blkmtd.c to use standard buffering (thus
losing for now some of the direct bad block detection) and have the
speed up to;

Read: 7.5Mb/sec
Write: 5.4Mb/sec

(which is pretty much the USB key spec..)

I'm guessing with a little more work I can solve the bad block detection
issue and hopefully this will also improve the mount time ..

Regards,
Gareth.